Create Your Own Condition Support
By: Quita Christison
Quita Christison shares her top 5 tips to create your own condition support.
I would often feel that I had to explain why I broke my leg again or why I had missed school, so I decided to create my own condition support. I have a rare genetic condition called Pycnodysostosis (PCYD), sometimes referred to as Toulouse-Lautrec Syndrome.
When I was younger I was in and out of the hospital because of fractures and surgeries. I was on crutches almost every summer, sometimes I would use a walker or a wheelchair. I was angry because I wasn’t matching my peers. I wanted to run, jump, and not worry that one misstep would be traumatic.
In high school, I had 3 rods placed in my legs. One in my left femur after a displaced fracture from a game of leapfrog, and one in each tibia in the hopes of preventing more fractures.
When I was 18, I had major surgery to address my jaw malformation and had braces for 7 1/2 years. I like to joke that I went through a lot to get this smile. When I was in college, I got my right femur rod placed. My doctors and I decided on this plan and timing since I was done growing, standing all of 4'5".
Seeking condition support means advocating for accommodations while in college and grad school, and continuing to do so at work. It also means working on my condition being a proud part of my identity. I've been far more outspoken about my diagnosis in the last few years than I was in the decade before.
The two main things I deal with on a daily basis are my height and pain management. Below are examples of how I own my condition support:
- Necessity is the mother of invention: I have 4 different size step-stools around the apartment and I use at least 2 of them all day, every day. To get a snack, to grab a dish, to get the laundry done, etc. Thank goodness, my fiancé does most of the laundry now. Top-loading washers are the bane of my existence.
- Always be kinder than necessary: This is my mantra when I deal with adults and their misguided questions or comments. I don't mind the genuine curiosity of children and I'm happy to engage with them. It's adults that I take issue with.
- Ibuprofen is my one true love: I deal with pain management on a daily basis. Ibuprofen really helps relieve my pain due to arthritis, stress fractures, slipped discs and chronic migraines. I have stronger stuff, but I only take it when I really can't cope.
- Get yourself an electric heating pad: You will thank me later :)
- Stay active: Probably the most annoying but also the most necessary is that I have to keep my body strong by staying active. It can sound counterintuitive to my condition but when I'm in pain a good yoga session or a gentle walk outside can really help. I've gotten into some terrible cycles of inactivity leading to more pain, leading to less motivation to be active, leading to even more pain...
I've had surgeries that have given me more confidence in trusting my body. I know my body and know its limits in the best way possible and that has helped me accept my diagnosis. I'm tuned into my body. I listen to it and try to give it what it needs. If I didn't have my diagnosis, I'm not sure I would know myself as deeply as I do because of it.
Because of my condition I have had to become really good at communication. I have learned to put my ego aside and ask for help. My fiancé and I want to start a family soon but with my condition, I've come to terms that it would be too hard on my body to carry a pregnancy. We are more than excited to start the adoption process. We know that it will be a team effort to raise a family. By the time our kids are ~18-months old I shouldn't be lifting them, among other things. We will all learn to adapt. Our home will be full of love.
Quita Christison is the outreach coordinator for NextStep, an organization that helps young people living with chronic illness and other diagnosis transition into adulthood by offering safe spaces to learn anything from health education to finances.
7854 필리핀카지노 비바카지노쿠폰 바카라사이트주소 카지노사이트 카지노사이트 카지노사이트 바카라사이트 바카라마틴배팅 얀카지노 온라인카지노 맥스카지노주소 온라인카지노 필리핀카지노 온라인카지노 룰렛추천 룰렛게임 우리카지노 오공슬롯 카심바슬롯 카지노베이 마이크로게임 https://www.netflixcom.net 인터넷슬롯머신 007카지노 세부카지노 퍼스트카지노 바카라사이트 호게이밍 moroamee234 포텐슬롯주소 더존카지노 바카라사이트 모바일카지노 필리핀카지노 슬롯머신추천 비바카지노 카지노커뮤니티 포텐슬롯사이트 마이크로게임 https://www.netflixcom.net 인터넷슬롯머신 슬롯나라 바카라노하우 라이브카지노 온라인슬롯잭팟 포텐슬롯사이트 https://www.netflixcom.net 에그벳먹튀 바카라사이트추천 온라인바카라 moroamee234 더존카지노먹튀 온라인슬롯잭팟 식보게임사이트 슬롯머신사이트 바카라배팅노하우 카지노추천 바카라필승전략 에그벳슬롯 밀리언카지노 타이산게이밍 바카라배팅노하우 밀리언클럽카지노 바카라이기는방법 슬롯머신777 코인카지노 포텐슬롯주소 슬롯머신추천 포텐슬롯 카지노슬롯사이트 월드카지노 바카라분석법 온라인카지노 바카라규칙 마이크로게임 https://www.netflixcom.net 인터넷슬롯머신 바카라사이트 카심바슬롯 바카라이기는방법 엔젤카지노 카심바슬롯 https://www.netflixcom.net 플레이슬롯 카지노사이트추천 온라인바카라 moroamee234 바카라전략 카심바슬롯 바카라분석법 카심바주소 리조트월드카지노 더나인카지노 우리카지노계열사 바카라배팅전략 포텐슬롯 바카라 마이크로게임 https://www.netflixcom.net 인터넷슬롯머신 온라인도박사이트 바카라검증사이트 포텐슬롯 https://www.netflixcom.net 카지노사이트 천사카지노 마카오카지노 moroamee234 슬롯머신 플레이텍게이밍 탑슬롯 2893
SAVE YOUR RELATIONSHIP ONLINE WITH A TRUSTED AND RELIABLE SPELL CASTER. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
My name is Peggy Rothchild and I am very happy to doctor Odunga for helping me get my ex husband back and this made me very excited that I came online here to post about his work. I made a promise to him that if he got my ex husband to me in 2 days, I will make a great testimony and bring many people who need help to him for help. His spiritual temple is in Africa and he has been helping so many people. He is a great spell caster and can help you no matter where you are. My husband Peter is now back with me and this spell caster brought my husband back to me in 2 days, someone who left me for 4 years now. Contact this man. He will help you and you will see. His temple Email is email@example.com OR Whatsapp number +2348167159012
FIX THE FOLLOWING PROBLEMS TO ALL ACROSS THE
Get your ex back spell
Get a huge loan without paying any fee spell
Long life spell
Freedom From Prison spell
Contact HIM of any of these today at:
EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org OR Call and WHATSAPP HIM +2348167159012