Spike in Fat Shaming Memes
We have all seen them on social media and we have probably felt the negative self-talk slowly but surely creeping in: the fear of gaining weight during COVID-19 quarantine. Some are even calling it quarantine 15, like freshman 15, the saying that refers to an amount of weight gained during a student's first year of college.
Aside from worrying about paying your bills, unemployment and a global health pandemic, we want to throw our minds one more negative thought in there because sometimes self-sabotage is our best friend. I am here to STOP you.
If all you can do today is change sweatpants, that’s fine. If you didn’t shower today or showered one hour before dinner, that’s fine. I am here to tell you that just being here on this earth, at this time, is enough. Now is the time to be kind to ourselves. It is always the time to be kind to others, but now it is all about being kind to yourself, especially since the only other person you can spend time with right now (unless you are hunkering down with your partner or your whole family) is yourself. Take this time as a much needed touch base with who you are and where you are going.
If you have always wanted to learn a language or about interior design, do it. If you have a delicious chocolate cookie recipe pinned for years that you have been meaning to try, do it. If you want to try exercising at home or not exercising at all, do it. WHATEVER YOU WANT TO DO NOW, JUST DO IT (do anything that of course is safe and keeps you in social distance). I know you don’t need me to give you permission but I thought I would write because writing and this blog is the only part of my business, my day-to-day, I have full control over.
Things I have been doing to keep a semblance of normalcy or what my “new normal” looks like:
- Baked these cookies and my mom’s delicious corn cake!
- Checked in with our factory/ production team.
- Worked-out every week day, the intention being becoming more flexible and increasing mobility in my hips.
- Did not one, but two Instagram Lives with ladies I LOVE. Follow along our chats @migaswimwear
- Met our next door neighbors and had an arepa party for 4.
- Celebrated Chris’ birthday by hosting virtual chats with friends and family, getting our previously planned brownie cake delivered and playing online Nintendo Switch with his little cousins.
- Mood boarding our future home on Pinterest.
- Learning about Human Design ‘cause what does a solar plexus mean?
- Cooking 1 big (but simple) dinner a day and having delicious leftovers for lunch the next day. (If you need recipes let me know, happy to send some your way).
- Hosting 2 Instagram Lives.
- Taking a course on Organic Marketing as part of The Wing’s digital content schedule.
- Catching up with old friends that are in totally different time zones.
I am aware of the privilege I have to be able to take this time off and not have to be working to save the world (think supermarket cashiers and nurses). I am appreciative of the amazing places I have been able to visit and all the amazing souls I have met along the way. When I ground myself in gratitude, coping with our current situation becomes easier. When I seek comfort in the future, the present doesn't seem so daunting.